St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Howard, Wisconsin

Masses: Sat. 4:30 pm - Sun. 8 am and 10 am

HOME

PARISH CONTACTS

FAITH FORMATION
   Churchtime
   Youth Ministry
   High School
   Adult

MINISTRIES
   Liturgical
   Music
   Parish Life
   Pastoral
   Schedules

Sacrament Preparation
   First Reconciliation /
            Eucharist

   Confirmation
   Other

CEMETERY

PARISH HISTORY

School - Grace - Scrip

Join our Parish

Contact Pastoral Council

 
  Timeline of St. John the Baptist Parish/School
1849 Log church built under direction of Rev. Father Bonduel, near Duck Creek, 3.5 miles northwest of Fort Howard, old cemetery established
1853 Fr. Turcotte was appointed the parish's first pastor.
1860 Fr. Goey was our pastor. He was the first postmaster of the settlement.
1877 Large brick veneer church built on present property -- church entrance on west side
1881 Rev. Edward F. Van Hootegem, Pastor, St. John the Baptist, 1881 - 1892
1887 Three bells for the church were purchased for $252.82.
1888 St. Leo's school was built with four rooms. The Sisters of St. Francis of Bay Settlement led the school.
1889 St. Leo's school dedicated, October 1st, 1889
1894 New pastor's house constructed after fire destroyed the old one
1913-1915 Corner church constructed using stone from Duck Creek quarry
1949 New eight room school built to replace the original school of 1888 (this is now the middle section of the present school)
1953 The parish celebrates it's 100th year anniversary (centennial). Fr. Hennessey was the pastor at the time.
1956 Fr. Goetz was appointed pastor and served our parish for 19 years.
1957 1894 rectory razed and the present rectory built
1958 Four room addition to the school on the east side built
1958 Twenty room convent constructed to replace the 70 year old structure
1964 Addition to the school on the west side, consisting of five classrooms, cafeteria, kitchen, large meeting room, and a tunnel connecting the church and the school constructed
1975 Basement of corner church converted to a chapel
1988 Frs John Penzenstadler and David Plier, both diocesan priests, were appointed co-pastors.
1988 Centennial year for the school.
1989 Rededication of St. John the Baptist School, October 1st, 1989 and appointment of Fr. William Swichtenberg as co-pastor.
1995 Dedication of new addition, gym, pre-school, library-media center, and commons. Fr. Greg Smith was appointed co-pastor.
2000 Mortgage burning celebration. It took five years to pay off the Activity Center loan of $1,010,000.
2003 St. John the Baptist celebrates it's 150 year anniversary (sesquicentennial).
2005 Fr. John Bergstadt was appointed pastor of our parish, and Deacon Manny Torres was appointed shortly thereafter.
2006-2007 Construction of existing church and dedication on Oct 7, 2007.
2008 Convert old stone church to Youth Ministry
2009 1957 rectory razed for safety and cost-savings and new rectory was built.
2009 St. John the Baptist School becomes part of the GRACE school system.
2011 GRACE took over complete operation of St. John the Baptist School.
2013 Six years after the dedication of the new church, the parish continues to grow at 100+ families per year. The parish has been around for 160 years!

New church from the east

Current church - view from the east

 
Copyright © 2016 St. John the Baptist Church
All rights reserved